Make Money Writing Your eBook
Writing your eBook is one of the many ways to make money online you can explore to increase your income streams. The Guardian seems to suggest the debate surrounding eBooks versus their counterparts – the paperbacks have been going on for a long time. Reading eBooks and paperbacks are both appealing to certain audiences. They both have pros and cons. What I am 100% certain is eBooks and paperbacks are both still on demand and have enormous audiences.
Many people want to know how they can get an eBook inexpensively. The best way is to write your own book and publish it yourself under your name. There are other ways of having your eBook. There are people who outsource eBook material and then publish and market the eBooks.
eBooks are reported the most popular with the younger generation who are switched on and on the go by using technology. During times of travel, eBooks seem the best option. Especially for those with eBook readers to take on board and read to pass the time. If you have travelled before on extremely long flights compounded with stopovers, you know how it feels like. Most certainly an eBook can be a great escape from the boredom and frustration that comes with long flights.
The Purpose For Writing An eBook
You may want to give advice to people or you simply want to have a voice. So, an eBook is that perfect channel for you to communicate your message across. As well as a place to address crucial issues that are close to your heart. An eBook will be that ideal platform for you to share information.
What Is An eBook?
An eBook is an electronic downloadable book, which you can download onto your computer or phone. Amazon has a Kindle Direct Publishing platform where authors can design and self-publish their eBooks. In addition, Amazon has an eBook Reader Kindle, a small hand-held electronic device for reading books.
What A Good eBook Looks Like
A good eBook should address at least one of the three key things namely: the ability to solve a problem and address a fear or curiosity. Writing your eBook is quite straightforward as long as it meets any one of the requirements I have stated. Is it solving a problem, addressing a fear or does it satisfy people’s curiosity about a certain subject or debate?
Websites for Selling and Publishing Your eBook
(1) Online self -publishing at Lulu. At Lulu, you can create, publish and sell your book for free.
(2) At Amazon, you can self-publish your eBook including a paperback with Kindle Direct Publishing for free.
(4) iTunes Producer for iBooks
(5) Kobo Writing Life
STEP 1: To start with, you need to find a website where you will self-publish your eBook. This should be prioritized because different websites tend to use guidelines or in-house styles and other resources that are tailor-made so that authors can use them to self-publish their eBooks. I will walk you through the processes that authors go through at Lulu Company and Amazon.
STEP 2: eBook Writing Style
To be on the safe side in terms of complying with most eBook publishers, use a simple and straightforward style for writing your manuscript. The simpler your style the better your eBook will look on an eReader device. Let’s say, for example, you decide to self-publish your eBook with Amazon, you will be able to use its platform called Kindle Direct Publishing. These platforms enable you to create and manage your Kindle eBook including paperback and audio books.
To prepare your manuscript for conversion, you should write your content using a simplified structure. That is a structure which carries an introduction, body (with chapters ) and finally, a conclusion. Basic fonts are preferred and anything more complicated will result in the eBook converter failing to convert your manuscript. Among the recommended fonts are Aerial and The New Times Roman, ideal and easy for conversion. Simple headings are also expected such as Headings 1, 2 and 3.
Depending on the website you choose to self-publish and sell your eBook, the main thing is to acquaint yourself with the tools the website offers and how to use them. Some websites have tools for making eBook Covers. Yet other sites have covers that are already designed. In some cases, authors bring covers they have already designed. So, all they need is to upload them. At times authors are free to get images with free royalties at Canvas.
How to Turn Your Manuscript into an eBook at Lulu
(1) At Lulu, you do it yourself for free. You will make use of an eBook creator guide. It carries all the information you need to know about making your eBook.
(2) Lulu gives you some tips on Formatting your manuscript. Microsoft Word starting 2007+ is recommended. Lulu specifies the Headings and characters that are acceptable including how to format your pages.
(3) The final stage is to convert your manuscript into an EPUB to make it available on all eReaders and tablets.
How to Prepare, Publish and Promote your eBook Using Kindle Create
(1) At Amazon, you use Kindle Create to transform your manuscript into a Kindle eBook. All you need to do is to upload your manuscript and Kindle Create will automatically form chapter titles, styling and a Table of Contents.
(2) Editing your Kindle eBook.
(3) Publishing is done the moment you click the publish button to create to a reflowable eBook.
Amazon eBook Readers
(1) Are the best devices designed for reading eBooks? The advantage of using them is you can carry a thousand books at once with an eBook reader and able to access more using the device.
(2) Amazon Kindle Paperwhite seems the people’s most favourite judging from reviews left by Amazon customers.
(3) If you don’t have the eKindle device, the Kobo Clara HD are reported the best options.
Marketing Your eBook
Amazon has various ways and systems in place to help authors market their eBooks. If your budget is too small to meet promotional costs, there are alternative methods in place and Amazon’s Free Promotions is one of them. Promoting your eBook through a third-party website is another option.
However, you need to make sure the third party sticks to Amazon’s agreed terms and conditions. You can also self-advertise your eBook by distributing leaflets and flyers on social media: Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest.
Writing an eBook can be a walk in the park if you enjoy writing. If you feel writing is your passion, then go for it. There is enough evidence that proves that many authors have made real money from eBook sales. Some can sell 500 copies a day through downloads. Therefore, there is no shadow of a doubt that selling your eBook is a way to make money online which works.
The benefits are more than just monetary gains. Also, you will have a voice and ability to open up about a particular subject from your own heart. Besides, you can offer advice to someone who might be desperately in need of help. Apart from making money through sales, authors can explore other income opportunities. For instance, earning income from the book’s content through affiliate programmes like the Amazon Associate programme. Let’s say, you are an Amazon Associate, you can display your eBook link on your website and earn money whenever people buy the eBook.
How to Improve Your eBook Sales
(1) Make sure your eBook is of excellent quality. Although you can make money in the short term it’s not sustainable in the long run if your book quality is low.
(2) Try always to keep your costs to a minimum. Especially, if you are a newbie. Start with a short book with 10 – 30 pages, known as short reads. You can always improve the book over a period of time.
(3) The expected length of 200-page books is now a myth. Nowadays people want to read short but powerful books, right to the point and can change people’s lives.
(4) The publishing route has changed a lot. Amazon Kindle has changed the landscape to allow everyone on board and has the opportunity to self-publish. The market has shifted as well since most people online want things in shorter formats, short reads of
5 000 words.
(5) The benefits of keeping your marketing costs low are if the book doesn’t sell, it will not have any detrimental effects on the author. However, If the book sells. you need to improve the book and evolve it so that it continues to sell.
Hopefully, this post will give you a picture of how you can make money online writing eBooks. Please, feel free to ask any questions you might have below and share your own experiences in self-publishing an eBook.